View Single Post
Old 12-27-2018, 09:52 AM   #34
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
what are baselines for the league, otherwise it's impossible to make any evaluation on it. 1969 in ootp, not just 1969 in RL too.

i can guarantee that a player recreated in a 2018 league with those ratings could not be even average, which i bet his numbers are ~close to for a weak offensive environment. add 1 to era for a translation to modern e.r.a. once the sample gets larger it'll look worse almost certainly relative to baselines of that league. otherwise you can be nearly certain that the low home run totals in that envirnment marginalizes movement. i'd hope the game doesn't do that intentionally... and if unintentional that's worse.

if that guy has a good career, i'd remove movement column from anything i saw, because in that context it means nothing... you can see why i hope that isn't the case, i hope. kind of a waste of effort to have that rating at all, lol.

edit: oh god, it's 18 games. that information is anecdotaly fun for whomever, but objectively doesn't tell us about whether he'll be successful.
As I know I had mentioned in earlier comments in this thread, while the calendar year is 1969, the statistical modifiers are set to MLB 1986. So certainly not the kind of overall HR numbers that we see in today's game, but not terribly depressed totals either. I will be happy to provide more league context later- I was trying not to overload the previous post with context.
And I get the distinct impression that you never very thoroughly read what I write here, or you are just in a hurry to get to make your point. Because I already clearly stated that this was a small sample size. I haven't argued otherwise. This was merely an attempt to follow-up on my earlier promise to share reports along the way. This is the first small portion of that. Take it how you will.

As for league context, some of that can be gleaned from what is posted above. His ERA+, for instance, is 122. Nothing amazing, but clearly above average in league context. (And in case you missed it somehow, the ballpark context for his home games is very favorable to HR hitters. That context is valuable also.)
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote