View Single Post
Old 11-04-2019, 07:05 PM   #19
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Week #8

Boston vs. Washington: May 28, 1928
Boston sent starter Dick Alexander to the mound in an attempt to take three of four from the Eagles at Cunningham Field. Alexander was fantastic in this game only giving up one earned run on four hits over eight innings. First baseman Bob Scholer provided three hits for the Minutemen and Paul McClain had two himself. It was a hard-fought game and a good win for the Minutemen who would even their record on the season. 3 - 1 Win. (23 - 23)

Boston vs. Pittsburgh: May 29-31, 1928
After taking three of four from the Eagles, the Minutemen welcomed Pittsburgh into town. Starting for Boston on the mound was 27 year old lefty Ray Allen. Allen has yet to get his first professional win but he has had three pretty strong outings. In this game Allen would go seven innings giving up three earned on five hits. It was a well-played game by both teams and it came down to the bottom of the ninth when Tom Tucker delivered a run-scoring single to send the Minutemen home victorious. 5 - 4 Win. (24 - 23)

Wednesday's matchup against the Miners would be a double header. In game one Boston would send Ernie Henderson to the mound to take on Jim Smith from Pittsburgh. Once again, Henderson went all nine innings and only allowed six hits. Unfortunately he walked five batters and gave up four earned runs allowing the Miners to snap Boston's winning streak . Offensively for Boston doubles were hit by catcher Joe Richards, second baseman Paul McClain, first baseman Bob Scholer, third baseman Charlie Barry and LF Homer Krajewski. On most days five doubles would usually yield a team more than two runs in a game. However, that is exactly what happened. Boston would look to even things up in the second game of the double dip later that afternoon. 4-2 Loss. (24 - 24)

In game two of the day against the Miners, the Minutemen would call on the services of Jack Holland. Holland would benefit from an offensive explosion by his hitters in the second inning. It would be the only inning that Boston would score in the game and they had seven of their eight hits in that inning, but it would prove to be enough. Boston would look to take their second straight series as they finish off the homestand against the Miners tomorrow. 8-3 Win. (25-24)

The combination of Phil Sunshine and Wilbur Laramee was not successful as the Minutemen dropped the final game of the series to Pittsburgh. While the offense could only muster seven hits it didn’t really matter as Sunshine and Wilbur gave up eight earned combined. CF Dick Copeland provided a triple and moved his average up to .278 as he had a late, slow start to the season because of his back. With the conclusion of this game it was time for the Minutemen to pack their bags for a long road trip that would take them to Detroit, New York, St. Louis, Chicago, Washington and Philadelphia over the next 24 days. 11-3 Loss. (25-25)

Boston @ Detroit: May 2-3, 1928
The first stop for the Minutemen on their long road trip would be to Detroit. Boston would take on SP Ernie Miller who was sporting a 2-5 record on the season. Boston would counter with Dick Alexander, who was seeking his fourth win of the season. Detroit brought their bats and hammered out seven runs on fourteen hits to win by a pair. Charlie Barry, Bob Scholer and Dick Copeland each had three hits and the trio accounted for six of the seven RBI’s in the game. It was a great way to start the road trip. 7-5 Win. (26-25)
The Minutemen found themselves in a pitcher’s duel for the second game of their series against the Dynamos. Ernie Henderson for Boston and Mel Strom for Detroit matched each other pitch for pitch through eight innings. In the 9th with a 1-0 lead Detroit had Boston down to their last two outs when Boston found a rally. Jake Duke drew an important walk followed by a single from Ed Wise who was a defensive replacement not known for his swing. Alfred Cass who was behind the plate in this one loaded the bases with a five pitch walk. Tom Tucker proved hero as he laced a double down the first base line and into the corner of Thompson Field. The double put the Minutemen ahead and they would later score a third run on a sacrifice fly by Carl Milam. In the bottom half of the inning Dode Jefferis would slam the door on the Dynamos earning his third save on the season. It was a big win for the club and puts them two games over the .500 mark. 3-1 Win. (27-25)

GM's Desk: June 4th, 1928
We really needed a 5-2 week. It put us two over the .500 mark and keeps us within shouting distance of Chicago. Even still we really needed to take advantage of the large homestand better than what we did. Right now we have a losing record at Cunningham on the season. We are also giving up too many runs overall. We are sitting at -7 in run differential while everybody above us is at least +12 in that category. It tells me that the bottom will be falling out on us real soon if we don’t fix things quick. Hopefully Bill Jenkins coming off the I.L will help matters. Phil Sunshine has been bad for three consecutive starts so we are going to try putting him back in the pen and let Jenkins take his spot in the rotation. He should get his first start against the Gothams later this week. As the calendar turns to June I have now officially been on the job for a couple of months and I can say that I’m getting a much better feel for what we have in the organization. I am almost to the point where I may be comfortable entertaining trade offers from other clubs.
Attached Images

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote