View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #8
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
all pro sports have devolved into watching grass grow. maximizing profits and pandering to the lowest common denominator in order to do so is the likely cause.

if you can look past the utter lack of talent at the college level, maybe you can enjoy that a bit more. a slightly disengaged pro is still 10x more talented than some enabled sports brat in college.

going to a baseball game used to be fun. now, it's just like football with lots of standing around for commercial breaks, lol. self-absorbed people with weird time-consuming idiosyncrasies -- think nomar or sergio -- are a big part of 3-hour+ games in addition to packing in as many commercial breaks as humanly possible.

sports without a lot of stop-and-go are probably more enjoyable to watch. i can't follow soccer, so i guess hockey is the most entertaining? but, that league is so watered down and spread thin. plus, 2/3rds of the league gets into the playoffs... does everyone get a trophy for competing too?

basketball is only relevant to watch the last 3-5 minutes of a game. unless it is the playoffs, it seems teams take long stretches off ... i guess picking their butts.

too many commercials, and a drastic reduction in sophistication of at least the american populace over the last 4 decades has affected gameplay too -- i can't say that about other countries i am not as familiar with, but i'm fairly certain it's a common problem based on various current events around the world the last few years. horrendous choices with a plethora of historical examples as to why they are so horrendously ignorant and backward.

it's like banging your head against the wall and expecting a different result than a headache, or telling some person they are looking up on their golf swing and they reply adamantly, "no, i'm not." (young or old, doesn't matter much anymore).

it's no fun to watch because everything from the behaviour of individuals to how the business is run is indicative of ignorance and inflated self-confidence, lol... it's just the mob strolling down to the local colosseum.

if you don't (or did) play the games, it's probably difficult to care much. in another thread i mention something somewhat erroneous about how many actualyl spectate sports... i said "25%", but phone surveys say ~75%, which is just as insane. why does the best local ratings of an MLB team only hit ~9-10. that's 9-10% of all households equipped with a tv. it's just popular to say you like watching sports, but most just use it as an excuse to drink with friends, lol. few actually watch the games if you look at behaviour while at the bar.

conclusion - fun to play, but horrendously boring to watch. the novelty of going to a park, stadium or arena has certainly worn off for me. i sit there thinking the traffic and lack of entertainment is not worth the money expended each time. so, i stopped doing that.

You live in the US? But you're from somewhere else, correct?
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote