View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 04:18 PM   #15
Dukie98
All Star Reserve

In my historic league, Ruth was drafted by Pittsburgh, and initially used exclusively as a pitcher with middling ratings. After about 4-5 years of seeing whether (and when) the game engine would automatically switch him over, I manually converted him to right field, and he immediately began to hit like, well, Babe Ruth...

Fast forward to 1923. I upgraded to OOTP 19 around August of that season, and I realized late in the year that the computer had also moved him into the #1 slot in the rotation (I had given him a modest ratings bump years before to ensure that he would remain in the Pirates' rotation). He ended up the year hitting 47 homers, driving in 134 runs, and going 7-2 with a mid 3's ERA.

Two weird things occurred in the World Series: first, he batted ninth in the two games which he pitched. I assume it's something in the programming which defaults to put the pitcher ninth (or eighth for sabermetrically-inclined managers) -- even though there were times in his career when he pitched and batted cleanup (https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...&t=b&year=1918 ).

The other weird thing was that he was benched in Game Four -- the game before his second start. I'm not sure if that was an attempt to replicate the Angels' anticipated handling of Ohtani. But it sure seems weird to have a healthy Babe Ruth in his prime on the bench of a World Series game. (Appropriately, his replacement hit a three-run homer).

In that series, the Pirates played the Red Sox. Although Smoky Joe Wood had been automatically switched from SP to LF a couple years earlier, he did double duty as a relief pitcher as well.
Dukie98 is offline   Reply With Quote