View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
sprague
All Star Starter

ok i sent a pm to scruf to figure out what he was meaning with this league...a league of all historical players but his own setup and format

you have 2 ways to go. start as a historical league, stasrt as a fictional league

second issue is if you want to follow strictly the "league systems" ie before 1900 there are not that many pitchers around, so if you try to have 4-5 man staffs and a lot of teams there will be no pitchers. about the only db that would support that are spritzie's hs db's (which i highly recommend for the possability). if you want to play with the mbl only db that comes with the game you will have to make this decision.
if you want more teams, and-or large pitching staffs at least for a number of years you are going to have to add fictional players to the game- at least pitchers to make up for it. there is a problem with that i will address at the bottom

as for league set up. if it is historical. start you 1871 game. there will be an inagural draft. you can add or delete teams on the game setups screens before the draft. if you need players, you can always on the draft pool or free agent pages create more fictional players in the spots you would need- certainly pitchers, and perhaps some hitters as well

the other way you can do this is to start a fictional league in 1870. with all the teams, ect you want. but then- gosh where is it, rules page maybe, there is a box somewhere asking you if you want the game to import historical rookies, if you check that box, and then send the database to the folder you want (you can choose any db) then in 1871 the only draft players will be from that db (ie if mlb, you will get all the players in 1871, then the rookies in 72, 73 ect) if you choose the spritze hs, the players will all come in at age 18
part of this depends on number of teams and the number of players needed over time to stock those teams. this gets easier as you move into the 1900's

the catch is using fictional players. due to how the game creates fictional players, that group will always be better than the regular historical players. thus you either have to weaken them coming in (on the player creation modifiers) or manually. the second problem is if you want the historical players on recalc, but the fictional players on development- both can't happen

i had hoped ootp would have had a box on each player's form to check devlopment yes or no. that way you could have fictional players checked, and historical players not ect

anyway that is my suggestions for you. hope something in this long post helps
cheers
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote