View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #94
soxfan34
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Baseball View Post
#1: It's nearly impossible to evaluate speed, and defense can be a very difficult to determine as well. I would suggest having ratings displayed for speed and defense, though only a ten-point scale. Keep in mind that defensive ratings will still be subjective if you have scouts. Speed is an easily measurable tool with little variation, so there's no need to hide that rating.
It's crude, but to evaluate speed I use SB and SB%, as well as doubles and triples. For defense, use Zone Rating (ZR) - it gives a very accurate look at how a player plays in the field at any given position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Baseball View Post
#5: Finally, feeders are a must for stats only leagues. Furthermore, the more games the better. A typical High School season is 20 games, though you will have no clue whatsoever what a players ability is after 20 games. I would suggest 80 or so games both for the college feeder and the high school one.
To me the shortened season makes it all the more fun. HS players in general are extremely volatile and hard to project in future performance. They're the ultimate "high risk/high reward". I don't mind a small sample size, as it only furthers the challenge...
soxfan34 is offline   Reply With Quote