View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 02:52 AM   #19
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Lafontaine’s hat trick nets milestone
10/29/1991 22.05 EST

New York Islanders’ great Pat Lafontaine (pictured) needed 2 goals to reach the 300 goal plateau tonight, and he scored one more for good measure as his Islanders beat the expansion team Sharks by a score of 6-2.

“It’s been a great run so far. I hope that I can stick around long enough to score 300 more.” Lafontaine said of his achievement.

In the net for all of the Islanders’ 6 goals was former teammate Glenn Healy. “I’m obviously very happy for him, I just wish he scored them all on somebody else.”

Aside from the milestone, there was still a game to be played, and the Islanders had little trouble dispatching the league’s newest franchise. Bill Berg opened the scoring at 5.13 of the first and the Islanders were in command from there. After the dust settled the Islanders outshot the Sharks 42-18. Along with Lafontaine’s 3 goals, were scorers Berg, who scored another in the third, and the rookie centre Travis Green, who scored his first of his career, in the second.

The Sharks managed to keep it close until Lafontaine’s two goals late in the third. Ken Hodge scored his 4th of the year at 17.41 of the second, and Peter Stastny tallied his 2nd on the powerplay at 6.46 of the third.

With the victory the Islanders climb to 6-3-1 while the Sharks continue to struggle at 4-9-0.

The Sharks, in the midst of a 7 game road trip, and are beginning to feel the strain. “We have 3 more games (out East) and we need to take advantage of the day off tomorrow and take it easy.” Said Coach Fyvie.

The Sharks move on to Philadelphia to face the frightening Flyers Oct 31st, while the Islanders take a trip to Chicago to face the Blackhawks, also on the 31st.
Attached Images

Last edited by DFyvie; 10-12-2018 at 06:18 AM.
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote