View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 03:18 PM   #1
wagtunes
Bat Boy

Long Time Player Extremely Disappointed

I am a long time player of OOTP since version 7. As a veteran of this game, I've learned how to build dynasties. In fact, at times, the game was maybe too easy.

OOTP 14 has been a complete disappointment in the other direction.

Coming from a 57-105 season, I did the polar opposite of what the Florida Marlins did after winning their first World Series and gutting the team. I gutted a losing team and essentially bought a winning team.

Now I understand that stuff happens. Sometimes big names don't work out. But it's incredibly rare when everybody you buy doesn't work out. In the history of this game, I can't think of too many big payroll teams that were total disasters. A little disappointing? Maybe even sub 500? Sure. But not what i just experienced.

First of all, almost everybody on my team was hurt for extended periods of time. And I made sure when I signed people that the first thing I looked at was how durable they were. I avoided all people, no matter how good their stats, who were fragile or wrecked.

The really great players, I got into heated bidding wars for, something that didn't happen in older games but something I think is great. Nice addition there. Point is, I paid through the nose for these players. And somehow managed to keep my payroll under budget. That in itself was a miracle.

I gutted my whole pitching staff and bought 3 number 1 starters and a killer bullpen.

Again, I wasn't expecting to go 110-52 like I had done so many times before. I would have been content for an 81-81 season.

My record?

60-102.

A whole 3 games better than the year before.

Injuries, at one point, were so bad that I had to bring up people from double A. Why? Everybody at a certain position at Triple A was injured.

I have never seen anything like this in 8 or 9 years of playing this game.

At the end of the season, I was so frustrated, I didn't even bother to play through the playoffs. I exited out and most likely I've opened up OOTP for the last time.

I've been playing video games since the 70s. In all my years of playing PC based games, I have never complained about a one of them short of when they simply were not compatible with my PC. This is the first time in my entire life that I can honestly say I am disgusted with a game's performance.

In short, there was absolutely nothing realistic about the season I just endured. I have followed baseball since 1962 and there has never been a team with as many injured players as the team I just suffered through. Iron Man players were getting hurt.

I don't expect anybody here to really care about this little rant of mine and like I said, normally I wouldn't even bother (this is my first post here in 8 years) but this had to be said.

Some sort of realism has to be brought to this game. I don't know what has to be done to do that, but my last season, which is my last season, was a joke.

Shame. Because this is a game I've enjoyed for a long time.
wagtunes is offline   Reply With Quote