Thread: Strangeverse
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 12:46 AM   #542
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2079 Playoffs (10/4 – 10/8)

Miami United (0-0, 0.00) @ Philadelphia 76ers (0-0, 0.00)
We’ll play our first-ever playoff game as a Miami-based ball club in Philadelphia against a team we went 8-12 against in the regular season. We’ve actually played them tough, recently, and could surprise a lot of folks here... the only problem, of course, is that they have Palmer Parker, an odds-on favorite to win the NL Boyce, and we, most assuredly, do not. But, given our format, if we can land something sturdy on them in game one, we’ll be in the unlikely position of closing out this 3-game series at home - now is as good a time as any to overachieve.

NLDS 1 of 3: Kordell Littles (0-0, 0.00) @ Grimm McGowan (0-0, 0.00)
Win, 1-0
. We didn’t put a bad one on the 76ers, Kordell did. Littles pitched a complete game, 2-hit shutout with 7 K’s and only 1 walk and Aris Anaconda hit the game-winning, run-scoring double in the top of the FIRST. Palmer Parker did nothing of value for Philly, he hit into a double play in the bottom of the 6th, and K’d twice. Early Felger’s steal in the top of the 1st was a critical one – it put him in a position to make it home on Anaconda’s double… at this stage of the game, it’s the little things. Legendary performance from Kordell – wow… incredible post-season debut.

Elsewhere: The Final Four is all set in the International League – In the Republic League, the Hartford defeated Louisville in 6 games and will advance to face the Huntington Beach Bombers who took down the Long Beach Titans in 7 games. Meanwhile, in the Democratic League, the Compton Raiders defeated the Seattle Supersonics in 5 games and will move on to face the Austin Grackles, who dispatched the Nashville Picks in 6 games.

NLDS 2 of 3: Wilson Pena (0-0, 0.00) @ Radoslav Borovsky (0-0, 0.00)
Loss, 3-2
. Radoslav was good, just not quite good enough – he went a scant 6.1 innings and allowed 7 hits, a run, and a walk before handing it off to the pen – Harvey Allen gave up a solo HR in the top of the 10th to Palmer parker to earn the loss. Felger stole his second bag, OH HONG treated the fans to a monumentally bad fielding flub at 1st, and we left 5 runners stranded during the contest. Philly exacts a small measure of revenge and, as a result, I have to board a plane headed to Pennsylvania. That doesn’t make me happy.

Elsewhere: The LA Kings were bounced from the playoffs by the Chargers on a 7-2 loss in San Diego. Dontrell Gay looked good in a 3 for 4 performance with a 2-run HR and a walk – everyone else, however, was suspect. 3B Gino Carr, of the Beaumont Bullies, went 3 for 4 with a GRAND SLAM and 2 runs in his clubs’ series-clinching 13-2 win over the Gainesville Gamecocks. The Bullies will advance to the Bush League Championship Series largely due to his efforts. The former Duke stand-out, and member of 3 MLB clubs (LAK, GSW, and CAR) is now in his second season of Bush League play. He joined Beaumont in the offseason after spending a year in Quincy. He hit .233 with 16 HRs and 64 RBIs in Beaumont during the regular season. Also – Toronto advances to the second round after bouncing the Carolina Panthers from the dance in 3 games on a 4-3 road win, and Portland earned bragging rights over the Seattle Sounders after their 5-4 win at home served to eliminate the Emerald City based club from the bracket.

Name:  Gino Carr.png
Views: 197
Size:  267.6 KB

NLDS 3 of 3: Rad Taylor (0-0, 0.00) @ Vin Uhlman (0-0, 0.00)
Loss, 5-0
. Rad Taylor’s first taste of the post-season was nothing to write home about – it was no night out at the Olive Garden – he gave us 6.2 hard-scrabble innings of work but gave up 5 runs on 6 hits and only fanned 5 batters in the effort. Vin Uhlman, by contrast, pulled a bootleg-Kordell in a complete game, 4-hit shutout that included NO walks and 8 Ks. Palmer Parker went 1 for 3 with a 3-run homer and a walk in the win. If he doesn’t win the NL Boyce, we riot.

And that closes the book on our first campaign in Miami – sort of anti-climactic, right? Up next – we’ll finish off the 2079 Playoffs (nothing fancy – just a quick who won, what sort of recap… and then, as always, I’ll probably make a few random changes to my leagues and motor through the offseason. I have a lot of changes in mind for 2080 – hopefully, I’ll have the wherewithal to complete them before getting tired of the clerical work and moving on to the business of building a winner in Miami.

Some previews of what I’m thinking… realignment of my minor leagues (teams changing affiliation, I want the clubs relatively close to their main club), 6 new teams in the Bush League, and several franchise relocations… a tall order, sure, and one that I am unlikely to complete – but we dream…. I have an incessant need to spruce things up around here - so, any suggestions on that front will be given their due.
Attached Images

the Portland Pioneers | the Los Angeles Leopards

Last edited by pauwoo; 01-12-2020 at 12:57 AM.
pauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote