Thread: NFL 2019 Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #92
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
That's the difference between being an owner and player. Getting rid of players with legal issues has become pretty commonplace.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.esp...3fplatform=amp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I know. Welcome to America where the wealthy operate on more favorable terms than the rest of us.
Just off the top of my head, it seems that Colts' owner Jimmy Irsay and former Panthers' owner Jerry Richardson paid appropriate prices for their transgressions. And crossing sports, nobody can say that former Clippers' owner Donald Sterling got off easy... In fact, Richardson's price was likely moreso than a player would've paid for the same offenses.

The only point I'll agree with here is that, yes, it would be premature for the Patriots to release Brown before he gets his day in court (or before the legal system otherwise plays itself out)***. But the 49ers releasing Foster after his latest DV charge is not a case of a double-standard, nor would it be if Brown ends up being some form of guilty of sexual assault and gets released.

***That said, most agree that Brown is a selfish nut case and prone to being a distraction. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him cause additional problems that make it simply not worth the hassle, and in that scenario the Pats could certainly cut ties with him - and be justified in doing so - prior to the legal system running its course... (And I'm thinking the Patriots may already be second-guessing their decision to sign him.)
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote