View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 11:28 PM   #2
Blue
Minors (Single A)

Re: Player Progression

Glad to see you starting to like the game, I found myself turning to this game more over any other due to its realism and depth. I'll start by saying that its always going to be hard to completely replicate real life, but these guys have done it better than any other game I've ever played.

1. You're right looking at TCR, I personally don't touch development much, but it doesn't hurt to experiment. From my understanding of reading the forums and my own experimentation, TCR determines the range a player may develop or produce on the field. The higher TCR the more randomness there will be in your player development. I've used 150 the most, and it gives me what I'm looking for, a good group of successful picks as well as busts at the top of draft and some surprises coming from the later rounds. Good example I can think of was the case of Bruce Maxwell(current prospect in A's org.) in a White Sox save I had once. I traded for Maxwell in my first year as filler to a larger deal, he was a low rated prospect(25-35 out of 80 iirc), but I thought he might turn into my starting catcher. He hit the major leagues the next year, and turned into one of the best catchers in the game, posted something like .340 one season, and he spent his entire career with me, his number ended up retired. So, I would just test different settings, the more you play the more you'll be able to find what your looking for.

2. Personally I don't pay much attention to the overall rating distribution, the best players usually present themselves when I dive into stats, TCR will also allow for more randomness in good players producing better or worse, this is more present in the earlier years(ages 20-30) and players become much more consistent as they enter the later years of their careers. As for the ratings between positions, 15 has their ratings determined by talent at the position, however, there is a setting under the global settings I believe, that will change the ratings evaluation to all positions, it should be worded similarly and easy to find.

3. The game will always have exploits and you probably found one I've seen before. If an injured free agent is still available around spring training, you'll likely be able to sign them for cheap, the $ may be lower than real life in some cases, but its not far off(Look at Beachy signing for cheap with the Dodgers while he rehabs, he's no Cy Young winner, but if he was healthier he'd be getting more money at this point.)
AI ratings may have some effect on this, but I've never looked for it, it will determine a lot when making trades and teams willingness to pay for players based on good seasons rather than ratings, lowering the emphasize on ratings and more on stats may help you get to where you want, but this too will take a lot of experimentation, I usually use something around 30/50/15/5 if you want a place to start.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote