View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
Ike348
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl81790 View Post
Is it possible to still get OOTP 13 or 14 and not pay full price so that I can first try out the series before playing full?

Yes, but I reccommend getting the free demo version of 14. It's fully functional, but with a time limit, which I don't know how long it is. Right now OOTP14 is $20 and OOTP 15 will be released early April.

Does the game come in disc form or is it something I would download as a program on my PC?

Download. Really convenient.

Is there anything I'd have to consider in terms of PC capabilities or would a standard run of the mill computer be able to run the game just fine?

Unless you have a zombie computer (like I used to have), OOTP runs fine. Only large leagues slow down the game, but you're not into customization so you shouldn't worry about that.

For those of you that play it, what are the drawbacks? What don't you like about OOTP?

If there's one thing I must say, it's that the learning curve is very steep. The first time you open OOTP, there will be seemingly endless menus, options, etc. However, once you get into it, you might find most of the features to be unnecessary, depending on how you play.

In terms of doing fictional or historical leagues is it necessary to do any "modding" to the game or is it really enjoyable to play a fictional/historical league with the game the way it is as its shipped? I'm not really into the technicalities of working a PC like that.

There are tons of mods to download that can really add to your game experience. Adding jerseys to fictional leagues definitely enhances the "FaceGen" aspect, as when you manage the game the players will be wearing your jerseys. I also reccommend Bobble's Facial Hair Mod, which also enhances FaceGen.

HOWEVER, even without those, if you're mostly in to managing your games, FaceGen is not huge. The game is still very fun and very functional without mods.

How time consuming is the game?

Depends on your style. I personally like to create a fictional world and become a "fan", watching the league develop. I also like to GM and I do manage games in my small, 4 team, 36-game league. Each game you manage can take longer or shorter depending on how much thought you put into managing. If you play with fast play-by-play mode, you can do a game in 15 minutes.

Does it ever become a chore to play?

Not in my experience, and if it does, create a new league! Try something new! Switch teams! The possibilities are endless.

Answers in quotes. Definitely try out the demo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote