View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 11:27 AM   #39
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Worcester Warriors (Class AA) Final Season Report

Worcester Warriors: Eastern Association (Class AA)

Record: 77-63 (.550) 3rd place 7.0 GB

Worcester finished a solid third in the eight team Eastern Association. Organizationally, we feel success at the AA is a good starting point for potential success at the highest level. By no means does AA success guarantee production in Boston but it offers a much more competitive atmosphere than single A ball which is still mostly filled with players playing professionally for the first time. The AA guys have already proven a little something so you get a much better look at future talent here. Finishing with a winning record at this level is encouraging for us.

Pitchers:
Much like the Rifles staff, the Warriors staff was also pretty effective in ‘28. Here is more of a breakdown in list form:
SP Joe Hogue: 23 years old, 236.1 IP, 17-8 record, 86 K/61 BB, 2.82 ERA
SP Bugs Donna: 23 years old, 181.1 IP, 12-10 record, 49 K/38 BB, 3.23 ERA
CL Jim Mattox: 27 years old, 194.1 IP, 15-7, record with 17 saves, 41 K/54 BB, 2.73 ERA
SP Gerald Samuelson: 27 years old, 167.1 IP, 9-12 record with 4 saves, 31 K/28 BB, 2.96 ERA

Hogue started the season at Springfield and went 4-1 which earned him his promotion. He was the best pitcher on the Warriors staff and will make the jump to Denver next season I think. Bugs was also very solid. I could see him in Denver or starting another season at Worcester depending on what we do with the rotation in Denver. At 27 Mattox needs to be in AAA. I have too many young guys that need to spots and he is taking one of those. Same with Samuelson, too old to be at this level. Dom Bennett who is not listed is a 35 year old SP guy that was very effective but his age may force a release. Frank Taylor who was also unmentioned may be a victim of overzealous scouting. My initial scout loved him to pitch for Boston as a 19 year old. I thought starting him at AAA was a wiser choice. He was shelled and I quickly moved him to AA where he struggled as well. We may have burnt his development. Hopefully the right level next season can get him back on track. If not, lesson learned.

Catchers:
Bobby Gentry’s name had been often mentioned in our yearly reports. Worcester was his final home for the season and the young 19 year old did not disappoint. Gentry hit .336 in 33 games for the Warriors. He took over for 27 year old Jim Robinson who was having an okay year hitting .275 himself. It was just that Gentry is younger and his star is burning brighter. The challenge will be if we move him to Denver for next season or give him a full year at Worcester. I’m leaning at starting him in Worcester and promoting him if he gets off to a hot start.

First Base:
22 year old Bob Waller was the club’s 4th round pick back in ‘26. The lefty played 100 games for the Warriors at 1B and socked 16 homers and posted an eye popping .424 OBP which was tops in the association. His batting average was also tops in the league. In fact is on the short list for best hitters in the association. He has a few teammates that could actually join him on that list. Waller is ripe for a move to Denver next season.

Second Base:
24 year old Frank Hutchinson is a wizard with the glove at 2B. He can also provide some solid offense. Hutch was a 3rd rounder back in ‘24 and has done nothing but produce since turning pro. This was his 3rd season in Worcester and it will most likely be his last. His .306 average was good for 13 homers and a team leading 71 RBI’s. In 578 PA he only struck out 10 times. That is saying something.

Third Base:
22 year old Hooks Green manned the hot corner for the Warriors this season. Green was overshadowed by many of his teammates but he put up solid numbers going .294 with a .349 OBP with some plus defense. He is a guy that will most likely play another season at AA.

Shortstop:
Hal Adamson was drafted 11th overall in the 1922 draft straight out of high school. Adamson who is now 24 years old took some extra time to hit his stride. While his glove is solid his bat is still a struggle. With Earl Michael hot on his heels we are going to have a tough decision with Adamson real soon. Although the bat may not be ready I have an open spot in Denver that needs filling. I think I am just going to have to pull the trigger on it and hope for the best. I don’t want to stunt Michael and risk losing both.

Outfielders:
It is decision time in the Worcester outfield. CF Bobby Navires was both solid with the glove and the bat and at 27 year of age needs to be in AAA. To make that happen we are probably going to have to cut bait with some guys in Denver. I have too many guys in the low minors that need spots. I also have some guys that may have hit the crossroads of their professional careers.

Overall this group has a lot of promise but it will look entirely different next season.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote