View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #25
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Week #14

Boston vs. New York: July 9th, 1928
What the Minutemen had privately been concerned about with Bill Jenkins turned out to be a reality as the Boston hurler was removed in the second inning in his start against New York. It looks like he will be on the IL for a short bit of time. It would appear the problem is in his elbow. Verdo Burt who has been unhappy about his role on the club came in and promptly gave up six earned runs effectively erasing any Boston chance to claim victory in the series finale. 7-3 Loss. (45-39)

Boston vs. St. Louis: July 10-13, 1928
Boston would next welcome in the Pioneers of St. Louis for a four-game series. St. Louis sits in seventh position in the FA and the Minutemen are due for a series victory. Unfortunately for the Minutemen the series would not get off to a great start as SP Dick Alexander was hit early and often. Alexander was tagged for nine earned over four innings. The loss would be the Minutemen’s third in a row. 12-5 Loss. (45-40)

The losing streak would grow to four as the Pioneers once again laid waste to Boston starting pitching. The culprit today was Ray Allen who would only last 4.1 innings as he gave up eight earned. The loss would drop Allen’s record to 2-4 on the season On a brighter note Jake Duke has continued to produce as he had two hits and two RBI’s in the loss. 8-4 Loss. (45-41)

Boston was finally able to get a decent pitching performance out of one of their starters in game three of the series. Ernie Henderson provided his typical complete game effort only allowing three earned in the process. Offensively it was Dick Copeland’s day as he went a perfect 4-4 driving in two runs. Charlie Barry, Paul McLain and Jake Duke each provided two hits each as the Minutemen were able to snap the losing streak. 6-3 Win. (46-41)

The final game of the series was a wild affair that featured bad defense, poor pitching and plenty of offense. The Minutemen had 17 hits in the game, non bigger than Joe Richard’s walk-off two run single in the bottom of the 9th. Richards would end with 5 RBI’s in the game. LF Homer Krajewski would tie a club record with two triples and SS Carl MIlam would add three RBI’s. While the win was not pretty it was very much needed. 11-10 Win (47-41)

Boston vs. Chicago: July 14th, 1928
Boston would next have first place Chicago in town. The first two games of the series would be in the form of a doubleheader. Game one would feature a return to form somewhat for Alexander. Alexander was pretty solid going eight innings and giving up three earned. The problem for the Minutemen was that Chicago starter Lou Felkel was better. Lou only gave up a single earned run and scattered six hits in the complete game win. 3-1 Loss (47-42)

Game two of the double dip featured another solid pitching performance by a Chicago starting pitcher. Allen went for the Minutemen and he wasn’t awful, but nowhere near good enough to get the win. Boston could only manage seven hits in the loss as they watched their Association deficit grow to 6.5 games back. 6-2 Loss. (47-43)

GM’s Desk: July 16th, 1928:
It was a 2-5 week for us. We had an opportunity at home to cut into the Chicago lead and we were not up to the challenge. We still have two games left in the series, so if we win both we would be right back in it. If we do not, however, I think the 8.5 games we would be back would be the nail in our coffin. I had a feeling Jenkins was not good. He just was not the same pitcher after he came back from the IL. We are going to put him on the IL where I think he will be for about a month. At this point we are not really rushed, we just need him to get fully healthy. Ken Murphy is fully recovered and will take Jenkin’s place in the rotation. It will be Murphy’s first action of the year as he has been out since March. Junior Marrero has been optioned down to Denver to make room for Tweed who has finished his rehab stint without getting injured. He will come off the bench to start as my other outfielders have done nothing to make me want to take them out of the lineup. This week we will finish up with two at home against Chicago and then we welcome in Detroit (who sit above us in the standings) for four. Make or break time in Boston.
Attached Images

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote