View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 11:23 PM   #144
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Oct. 18, 1985

It’s Friday. The whole front office is off while the World Series gets underway in Los Angeles. Most of my employees are taking quick vacations. I’m just hanging out at home, listening to A-Ha's Hunting High and Low. I love that "Take on Me," the No. 1 song in the country right now, but I'm an even bigger fan of "The Sun Always Shines on TV." Time to relax.

In the World Series, the Dodgers come back with a run in the ninth, then a run in the 10th, to win 7-6 over Toronto. Experts figured that the quicker you get to the Toronto bullpen, the better the chance Los Angeles has, and that’s what happened. It started a pitcher’s duel, but Lloyd Moseby homered to open scoring, followed quickly by a Sid Bream homer to tie it up at 2-2. Then Toronto took over, scoring four in the sixth and seventh to seize a 6-2 lead.

But we know the Dodgers. They came right back to make it 6-5, powered by a two-run Sid Bream homer. By then they were in the Blue Jays’ ‘pen, and it worked out. Jim Acker let in the tying run in the ninth via a Pedro Guerrero single. An inning later, Acker and Bob Forsch loaded the bases, and Steve Sax walked to win it. The Dodgers lead 1-0.

Oct. 19, 1985

In game two, the Dodgers didn’t waste time, scoring six runs off Toronto starter Jim Gott (the biggest hits were a Greg Brock double, a Franklin Stubbs triple and, naturally, an Orel Hershiser two-run single). The Jays chipped away with one-run innings, getting three hits from Lloyd Moseby and two each from Jesse Barfield and Willie Upshaw, but Hershiser was good enough over seven, and closer Tom Niedenfuer finished it from there. Dodgers win 6-4 and are up 2-0 heading to the first World Series game in Canada. The Jays need wins.

Oct. 20, 1985

Nothing today, and it feels great.

Oct. 21, 1985

The scene for game three at Toronto’s Exhibition Stadium was wild, but it quickly dissipated as Pedro Guerrero slammed a two-run, first-inning homer against Jim Clancy. The Jays followed it right up with a Jesse Barfield homer and Willie Upshaw sacrifice fly, however, to tie it up at 2-2. But while the Dodgers inched out a couple more runs, the Jays couldn’t get it done against Fernando Valenzuela. He went the distance, striking out 10 and allowing two runs on eight hits and two walks. The Dodgers won 4-2, and are now one win from winning their sixth world championship.

Oct. 22, 1985

The Dodgers grabbed a quick 1-0 lead over Toronto in game four, but George Bell’s three-run, first-inning homer was the shot heard ‘round Canada, giving the Jays a big 3-1 lead.

But you know those Dodgers. They made it 3-2 immediately, thanks to a Tom Lombarski double (the guy was a negative player for the Cubs before a mid-season trade, by the way), then scored one each in the sixth and seventh to grab a 4-3 lead. Rick Honeycutt got through seven, then handed it off to Tom Niedenfuer, who closed the door on Toronto and the 1985 season.

The Los Angeles Dodgers are 1985 world champions. A clean sweep of Toronto. Pedro Guerrero (.400/.500/.800, 2 HR, 4 RBI) took home series MVP honors.

Congratulations to the Dodgers, who I saw winning this thing months ago. They were just that good in the last few months.

1985 World Champions: Los Angeles Dodgers
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote