View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 10:52 PM   #238
Dukie98
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Did you have to bring up 1987? It still stings man. We had it in the bag. And then we didn't. Ugh. Yes, it was tremendous baseball. I often find myself wondering what would've happened in a parallel universe if the Jays had managed to survive the AL East grind. Could they have survived the Twins? Or were the Twins a juggernaut of destiny? I'll never know what could've happened to one of the best teams in Blue Jay history. Yes, I know...Alan Trammell was absolutely jobbed out of the MVP. Although Wade Boggs put up one hell of a season that year too. I haven't looked but probably Roger Clemens was firmly in the running as well.
As bad as the George Bell MVP vote was, it wasn't quite as bad as the NL vote that year, with Andre Dawson's 4.0 WAR for a last-place Cubs team carrying the day.

Although Clemens won the Cy Young award, he was a complete afterthought in the MVP balloting - only 7 points. Paul Molitor had a tremendous all-around season, but missed 45 games for a sneaky-good Brewers team. The leading pitcher on the AL MVP ballot was ... Jeff Reardon and his 4.48 ERA (!).

https://www.baseball-reference.com/a...87.shtml#ALmvp
Dukie98 is offline   Reply With Quote