View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #35
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
To me it all depends on the degree. Something extreme like an 80-20 team putting in all irons in order to finish 85-77 is a problem and just silly. A 60-40 team though playing a few below average cards to finish 85-77 just gets a "whatever" from me since I don't see how that is harming the game for other players. A team playing .600 then .400 for two months isn't disproportionately bleeding PP like playing .800 then .100 does which is the concern people bring up with regards to tanking.

Why would a .600 team purposely lose any momentum at all? That's good enough for the playoffs and possible promotion in every league I've been in, even iron. The only answer is so they can stay in a lower league and beat up on teams getting single game achievements for 4/5 of the season only to rinse/repeat until they have all perfects and diamonds and then they feel comfortable enough to try and actually win. It all ends up being opinion in the end.

For the record, mine is that anyone who plays competitive enough to make the playoffs only to sit their pitchers so they can "appear" to have a weak team and try to hide the fact they are tanking the last month of the season so as to not make the playoffs with the intention of earning tons of single-game PP is just about the worst kind of cheater. And IMO, worse than someone who blatantly tanks for a whole season. The reason I think this way? Because the blatant tanker gets relegated and doesn't hover in the same league killing the same teams over and over while absolutely destroying the league they are in making it harder for legitimate players to work their way up. The other teams are essentially stuck with that player. Whereas the start-finish tanker plays a group of people only to play a different group the following season.

They're both bad, but "hover tanking" is a lowlife, insidious move. "Oh, I might make the playoffs and earn less PP next year. Let me tank the last month, tipping the balance of the playoff race in favor of whoever is lucky enough to play me more in the last month than the previous 5..."

Is it really debateable that's a scumbag move? Training is fine if it's a lost season. We've all done it I'm sure. But a person deciding they aren't ready to be promoted even though they have the roster to do so is low. Sorry I'm sure I repeated myself in there. Apologies. I'm frustrated because this directly affected my chances for promotion in the season it related to. And the fact it was a member of these boards who isn't the nicest person in here either just made it worse somehow.