View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 08:28 AM   #57
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewst18 View Post
Glad I'm not alone in my thoughts. I haven't posted because people are excited and didn't want to be a Debbie downer but since you brought it up. This is awful news for fans of OOTP and it's venture into football.
While you "agreed" with me, I must say your outlook is MUCH more pessimistic.

Quote:
Best case were looking at 2019 season for a release... I won't say the worst case but you've touched on it, and it's even worse considering this forum is going to load to FOF8 sales..

I am shocked that OOTP allowed this unless there is something behind the scenes that they get a cut of sales, such I'd expect there is.
While I think it's certainly possible the release could be 2019, I think it's irresponsible to state it as if it's a fact/best-case scenario.

I am no expert, but I really don't anticipate the 8.2 update is going to drive many new sales on a two-year-old game especially since it's a game more likely played by "knowledgeable"/diehard fans as opposed to casuals and anyone in the know would know FOF9 is in production.

Also, I imagine this didn't "take away" from FOF 9 time significantly. I assume the logic and coding needed to be implemented anyway and thus the time spent developing this feature is time that needed to be spent for it to be in FOF9 anyway.

Quote:
and given the history of the project at this point ill be surprised if we see a game in 2019.

Looks like more agree which is nice to read, it's sad because Jim and OOTP have amazing potential together but I feel the stubbornness is gong to lead to the project being cancelled for good. Hope I'm wrong.
The project being cancelled for good seems a bit extreme.

The "history" of this project includes a bunch of stuff that has NOTHING to do with Jim/Solecismic/FOF. The initial developer suffered a medical emergency and ended up passing away. Subsequent developers were brought in to try to resurrect the project but it was difficult to implement what had been someone else's game/vision. This again led to many delays, but clearly had nothing to do with Jim/this current project. As near as I can see, Jim has a pretty great track record for doing what he says he'll do and seeing things through to completion. So does OOTP Developments, aside from the aforementioned issues above which were clearly out of their control.

I respect that the developers aren't going to rush anything out if it's not ready and I also respect the huge task ahead to meld an already existing game into a completely new and different GUI. I also realize now that even if the game is on track to be released sometime late in 2018, that could very well lead someone to say it's not "on the cusp" or "imminent", which could be reserved for something maybe 2 to 3 weeks away/in final beta testing.