View Single Post
Old 03-16-2020, 11:07 AM   #35
APBAgreat
Minors (Single A)

I don't know if Louis was being kind or truthful when he said that he couldn't have beaten Marciano in his prime when Marciano visited the defeated Louis in his dressing room after their match. Louis was deemed the favorite by the experts going into the contest.

As far as the picks for Marciano are concerned, I believe he KO's Mike Tyson, who never beat a single top tier boxer in his career. He met two great boxers and lost all (3) contests, i.e., Evander Holyfield twice and Lennox Lewis. I think Tyson is the most overrated Heavyweight Champion in history. Tyson fans usually counter his loss to Lewis as being past his prime despite the fact that Lewis is a year older than Tyson and had fought him in the amateur ranks. Evander Holyfield proved his superiority over Tyson without question, yet people rank Tyson over him. This is a conclusion that defies common sense. It reminds me of Dempsey being ranked over Gene Tunney, who won (19) of the (20) rounds that they boxed. Like Tyson, Dempsey never defeated another great boxer, and I'm convinced in seeing the Willard match many times that Dempsey had loaded gloves. Willard had no doubt in his mind until his dying day and I agree with him.

Last edited by APBAgreat; 03-16-2020 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Added text.
APBAgreat is offline   Reply With Quote