View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #8
abell1198
All Star Reserve

Delayed in Easton

James traveled down to the train station and was met with some unexpected news. “I'm sorry, Mr. Herring, but the train won't be running on time today, if at all,” the conductor told him. “Snow storm has moved in over in Bethlehem and I'm afraid we’re going to have to wait it out.”

“How long do you think it will be?” James asked.

“Hard to say. Some of these storms blow through quick and others seem to hang out for a while.” said the conductor. “Our locomotive has already left for Bethlehem with the snow wedge so they can help clear the track when the storm is done.”

“Well then,” James remarked, “I guess we'll be hanging out and getting to know each other until then.”

The two men spoke at length about their lives and families over the course of the day. The conductor’s name was Fred and he had lived his whole life in Easton. “I’ve traveled to a lot of places, thanks to working for the railroad, but I always came back home to Easton. It's where Pearl and I are from and she never wanted to be too far from family, so we stayed.”

Fred and Pearl had known each other for as long as either could remember. Fred had courted Pearl when they were barely teenagers and they had been practically inseparable ever since. They had raised five children over the years, three girls and two boys, but they had lost their youngest son in the war.

“Toughest thing I ever had to do was bury my baby boy,” Fred stated, choking back the tears. “He was 25 years old, but as a father, you know, like I do, they're always your baby, no matter how old they are.”

Fred was especially excited, though, about becoming a grandfather….again. “Got six grand kids already, with number seven on the way.” Fred’s face just beamed when he talked about his grandchildren. Admittedly, Fred told James he didn't know a thing about baseball. “Don't really know what all the fuss is about,” Fred exclaimed. “It’s just a game. They probably won't be talking about it ten years from now.”

“Well, that would be bad news for me,” James chuckled.

As the day wore on, it was obvious to James he wasn’t leaving Easton today. Fred invited him over to meet Pearl and stay the night, saying the locomotive for the train should be back by morning. As promised, James and Fred returned to the train station the next morning and the train was ready to go. James thanked Fred for his hospitality and boarded the train to Bethlehem.

Current Dynasty:
Collegiate Baseball Association

Completed Dynasties:
World Series League
March Madness 2015
abell1198 is offline   Reply With Quote