View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 09:41 PM   #19
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krownroyal83 View Post
I'm planning on making a new fictional league. It's going to be based in Canada. It will probably have something like 24 teams. Not sure how long i want the seasons to be. I'm thinking somewhere around 100 games but that could change.
I feel like using a historical season is going to be the best thing to do. I'm just not sure which one yet. All i know is I would like the league to have more HR's than it normally would have, is that possible if i'm using a historical year? If so how would you do that? I know you don't advocate messing with the LTM, so is there another way? Also what exactly does changing the BABIP do? Increase or decrease offence i'm assuming?
With the BABIP, I happened to notice that the game had 1984's as .289, but when I looked it up, it was actually .286, so I change it to that every year when I bring in 1984 stats (day before Opening Day) and have the game do the LTMs for me. This difference probably explained why I kept seeing hotter results. You would expect to see some seasons right on the numbers of your particular year, some above, some below, but I was seeing mainly above, and some right on, with very few below. Changing that made more of a difference than I thought it would. Theoretically, it should increase or decrease AVG, and therefore OBP, SLG, and OPS as well in the same direction the adjustment goes, if you catch my meaning.

If you want more HR, use this list, and sort by HR/9. Then have a look at the other numbers from that year, both here, and on the list I just gave you in the previous sentence. The 10 seasons with the highest HR/9 rate in order are: 2019 (not yet available with historical), 2017, 2000, 2016, 2018, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2006, and 1996, so you're basically looking at the steroid era, or the grip it and rip it/launch angle/strikeouts be damned era that we're in right now. Remember that if you choose steroid era seasons, you're looking at K/9 rates of about 6.5, whereas if you choose 2016, 2017, or 2018, you're looking at K/9 rates starting at 8.1 in 2016, and rising to a staggering 8.9 in 2019. That's a whole lotta whiffin' goin' on, so factor that in in your decision. All the years I gave you will have very good fielding because we're talking about the last quarter century when fielding has been excellent relative to the earlier days of baseball.

The BABIPs for the ten seasons listed above are 2019 (.298), 2017 (.300), 2000 (.300), 2016 (.300), 2018 (.295), 1999 (.302), 2001 (.296), 2004 (.297), 2006 (.301), and 1996 (.301). You should be able to come up with something that suits what you're looking for, and then BOMBS AWAY BABY!!! DINGERS, DINGERS, DINGERS!!!

Are you trying to limit your season length to 100 for brevity's sake? I ask because I just use 162 games for every season, based on schedules I made. Very, very, very simple ones because I'm kinda dumb with that stuff, so every day either every team plays or no teams play. It was the easiest one for me to make without frying my brain. It makes comparing across seasons easier for me if I have the same number of games. I do have one for a 24 team league with two sub-leagues of 12 if you want it, but if you're looking for brevity, that's not going to be of much use to you. It has 81 games before the All-Star break and 81 after, for a true 1st half/2nd half instead of what we have IRL.

One thing I am concerned about. I was chatting with someone via PM, and he asked about setting offense for minor leagues, and since I don't use them I have no clue. Those that do use them would have a better idea than me about how stats settings work for them. I know how to get the numbers right for your major league, but because I have no experience with minor leagues, I'm kind of in the dark on that one. Keep that in mind when using this method.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote