View Single Post
Old 11-17-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
Big T
Hall Of Famer

The Montreal Canadiens- a Fictional Story

Name:  Montreal Canadiens.png
Views: 1780
Size:  5.4 KB

Its September 20th, 1982 and we are heading into the 3rd season of the newly formed National Hockey League. I am looking forward to a bounce back season, but fully understand that after winning the Holy Grail "Lord Stanley's Cup" in the NHLs first season, that no matter what happened in 1981-82 it was going to be a bitter disappointment. Well to add insult to injury we didnt even make it to the playoffs in year 2 but like any proud GM/Coach, we can blame that squarely on injuries.

The 1980-81 season, I seemed to have the Midas Touch, trade for a scoring defenseman, got 12 points from him in 21 playoff games. Needed an upgrade in goal, got one with a 1.62 GAA and .934 Save % in 21 playoffs games. Needed a shut down 2nd/3rd line center got one that contributed 7 goals and 16 points in 21 playoff games with a +8 rating. Turned a 45-28-9 season for 99 points into a Stanley Cup.

The 1981-82 season was a complete different story. My stud C dropped from a 99 point season and an Art Ross trophy to a 30 goal 69 point season. My shut down 2nd/3rd line C was on fire offensively until he broke his arm in February and was lost for the remainder of the season. My scoring D was limited to 42 games after he went to the I/R for a fractured hand and later a dislocated jaw. My new goalie struggled through most of his 68 games and finished with a 2.60 GAA and a less then stellar .897 Save %. The then when I did pull off a trade for a 29 year old 1st/2nd line winger at the deadline to shore up my top 6 forwards, he breaks his elbow in early March and misses the rest of the season. The Habs were in a playoff position at that point, but it was all down hill from there and we settled for a 38-35-9 season good for 85 points and a 7th place finish in the Atlantic. The arch rival and mostly disliked Boston Bruins went onto to a 59-18-5 season good for 123 points and eventually won their 1st Stanley Cup.

We are heading into a new season, there is new hope, we are healthy and we are expecting to bounce back and make it to the dance again. (Although the Hockey News does not expect us to be a contender this season).

Last edited by Big T; 11-17-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote