Old 04-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #58
so49as
Major Leagues

Game 74 – July 1st
1 – Oakland
5 – Royals

WP – Mark Gubicza (7-6)
LP – Chris Codiroli (4-7)

Cowens went 4-4 with a solo home run from the clean-up spot today – 2 RBI's total. Brett hit a 2-run home run. Gubicza went 8 innings striking out 4.

Went with a straight righty-righty/lefty-lefty matchups for the 9th. Huismann got Dusty Baker; McClure got Bochte, but walked Dwayne Murphy; Farr came in and struck out Dave Kingman for the final out.

Game 75 – July 2nd
1 – Oakland
3 – Royals

WP – Larry Gura (1-4)
LP – Russell Kibler (6-4)
SV – Dan Quisenberry (13)

7 of the first 9 batters reached base in the first and we scored 4 runs. 2 more in the 2nd, and Gura was cruising in the 4th when my computer shut down... blech.

The restart wasn't as successful, but we did score 1 in the first on a Darryl Motley single. The other two runs came from bases loaded walks.

Gura snagged another quality start, 6.2 innings, 4 hits, 2 walks, 4 K's, and nailed down his first win of the season. Quisenberry gave up 2 hits in the ninth but stranded both runners and struck out 2.

Game 76 – July 3rd
2 – Oakland
8 – Royals

WP – Bret Saberhagen (8-7)
LP – Jose Rijo (5-8)

Wilson singled and stole second to lead off the game. Collins followed with a 2-run homer and we didn't look back. Brett did go 0-5 and deserves a day off before the All-Star Break, so probably tomorrow.

Sheridan went 1-4 with a solo home run, and Jorge Orta went 3-4.

Saberhagen walked 1 and allowed 4 hits against 6 K's in 8 innings.

-
Gura hasn't been lights out, but he's keeping us in the games. 6 starts, 5 of quality, and the other was a 4-run in 6 inning outing where he walked 5 and struck out only 1. He has a 3.62 ERA and is 1-3 as a starter.

I might have caught the A's on a downturn, but if someone is, Id like to be that someone!

-
My record 35-41; 5th; 3.5 games behind Chicago (1 game over 500)
Real Life: 39-36; 3rd; 3.5 games behind California
so49as is offline   Reply With Quote