View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
naterg1
Major Leagues

Professional Baseball League of Arizona

Why I joined The Athletic and what you can expect from me.

My name is Nathan and I love baseball. You see, I’ve been watching, reading about, researching and writing about baseball all my life. The Athletic recently started publishing a number of historical articles in a variety of series, some of which have covered leagues that are a little, shall we say, obscure. Those articles were apparently extremely popular on the site, and I saw an opportunity. An opportunity to write about something I love, alongside some of the best writers in the world.

My favorite baseball in the world takes place in the state of Arizona. It’s knocking own as the Professional Baseball League of Arizona, or PBLAZ for short. I’ve been watching and studying the league for most of my life, and I think you’re going to love it. I’m going to write about the league from the beginning. When I’m done with that, I’ll pick up with what’s happening in the league today. There’s a lot of history here. I believe it’s fascinating.

A few things about the league before I really get started.

1. It’s been around as long as the state has. It’s first season was in 1912.

2. The league doesn’t feel like other early 20th Century baseball. It’s much more like the modern day MLB.

3. The league was conceived as a way to instill pride in the early citizens of
the state.

4. The league has a few quirks that were the result of early conversations, arguments, and compromises among the founders.

5. There have been a few sub .500 teams that have made the postseason. I know, I know...

6. There are a lot of wonderful and exciting stories wrapped up in this league’s history. Great baseball games, talented baseball players, intriguing managers, fascinating fans, and many more fun things will be covered. I hope you will enjoy reading along as much as I’m going to enjoy sharing it with you.
naterg1 is offline   Reply With Quote