View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #7
Lee
Global Moderator

To me Boxing is a victim of the "short attention span" mindset that we live in now. As has been mentioned there is not a strong following in the under 40 crowd because Boxing is not a grab you by the neck and make you pay attention sport like MMA. People want to see a trainwreck and MMA fits that definition, anything can happen at any given time.

Boxing is slower paced, more strategic and is an "acquired" taste if you will. It also is not as user friendly as it used to be. No big fights on network TV, no larger than life characters like Sugar Ray, Hagler, Duran etc. It is also a morass of politics, greed and confusion. Too many belts, to much BS and it will never grab the attention of the "core" sports audience if that does not change. I don't know what the answers are, but I do know good fights need to be more accessible and fighters have to made more appealing.

Be honest, of those of us in the over 40 crowd. Are you really as enamored with the sport as you were in the 70's and 80's when you were growing up. I know I am not and just speaking for myself, I think I may follow it now more out of nostalgia for those days of yore, then I do because of any commitment to the sport as it exists today.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote