View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 12:11 AM   #8
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
2/10?

i'll make a rule @ 2 for sure... that's well beyond any rational line you should draw. excluding TCR, which would be a second dose from i read, this guy is never going to be good in the mlb over the long-term.

1969 may help with a lower HR league. he won't be as terrible as he would be in 2018. i still highly doubt he'll fare well. check out league leaders and such... do you ever see a player with such a horrendous movement rating? (full year)

if there are and they are few and far between, the logic still holds. even the sun shines on a.... ... .. every once in a while.
Well, he might have had a better chance the season past when the statistical modifiers, due to an error on my part, were actually set to match MLB 1968. This season, although the calendar says 1969 statistical modifiers actually line up with MLB 1986. So definitely the HR more of a factor.
I guess my irrational hope was that he would have such high K rates and, if his control develops as is now projected, low enough walk rates that he just gives up a lot of solo HR's, that he wouldn't be total crap. And might occasionally, at least, be brilliant. Now, if that very low Movement rating means that pretty much every time a batter makes contact against him something bad is likely to happen, not just an increase in HR's, well, then it seems like it probably wouldn't be a risk worth taking.
For what it is worth, and I realize it's worth pretty much nothing, he was quite good with the major league team in spring training and was piling up the K's. Not so great so far at AAA this season. Though, interestingly, not giving up HR's. In his longest minor league stints at one level he has actually been pretty stingy in terms of giving up HR's, while walks have been more of an issue. Still, yes, I realize the majors is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote