View Single Post
Old 07-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #27
Cap
Hall Of Famer

New York's famed Metropolitan Athletic Club offered a $30,000 purse to Corbett and Choynski yesterday but both men declined, advising the board of that club that they had already agreed to box under the aegis of the Olympic AC of San Francisco...Corbett's chief sparring partners Jim Daley and "Con" McVey opened his camp near Sausalito, California...Peter Jackson had fought both men, intended to work Choynski's corner, and opined to eager journalists that the coming battle would be a good one.

Jackson: I expect a fast and furious contest from both men. Corbett has a slight edge in cleverness and ease of movement but Choynski packs a bigger punch and will more willingly press the attack.

John L Sullivan: Corbett is a shifty character by all accounts. He outpointed Jackson and I hear he out-boxed Choynski over a short distance. I like Joe's chances though. He is a true battler and has more heart than that dude Corbett.

George Chuvalo: Tough call. Corbett is hard to tag with a solid punch. Choynski will have to wear him down unless he catches Corbett early. Depends a lot on their condition going in and mental preparation. If I was putting down a wager I'd have to go with Corbett.

Hank Griffin: Choynski's a tough bird. We fought a draw last year in Frisco. He can surely punch! Nearly had me down in the last round. As for Corbett, he took the decision when we fought in Colma a few months before I fought Joe. Real pretty boxer but not much power in his punches. I hear Chuvalo picked Corbett so I guess I'll side with Choynski. No offence, George, but he can't pick winners to save his life.
Attached Images