View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 10:02 AM   #73
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Roy Miller-Jayhawk Journeyman

From the mid to late 1940s, Roy Miller was a well-travelled gatekeeper in the talent-rich middleweight division. A product of Kansas City, Kansas and winner of that city's Golden Gloves, Miller fought throughout the United States. Starting his career along the West Coast, he moved eastward to New England and finished up his ring days in the Midwest.

A tough slugger, he was a veteran of sixty-three pro fights with thirty-nine victories, twenty-two by way of early endings. In his eighteen losses, he was only stopped four times and never knocked out. Two of the stoppages came in his early days as a fighter and the other two shortly before he retired in 1952.

He held wins over Artie Towne and Sal Baroudi and went the distance in a losing effort against highly touted Bert Lytell. He fought regularly between 1944 and 1948, but his career began to slow down substantially after that. He had only two fights in 1949 and two in 1950.

In those two latter bouts he took pretty severe beatings at the hands of Bobo Olson and Bob Murphy. After being stopped by Murphy, he retired only to return for one more match two years later against Moses Ward. After dropping an eight round decision to Ward in 1952, he retired for good.

As with most of the ratings I post here, Miller's rating is "Prime" and based upon his professional peak rather than his overall career. He fought six times after 1948 without a win. In most of those matches, he was generally outweighed by his opponents. I excluded those fights from my considerations in creating this rating. If you plan to use him in a sim post-1948, you should make a career adjustment.
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Miller_Roy.tbdx3 (1.6 KB, 309 views)
professordp is offline   Reply With Quote