View Single Post
Old 10-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #54
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Just about making stats and ratings views more usable:
  • in player Profile views, do something to make Major League stat lines look different from minor league ones, make the minor league lines a slightly lighter shade or something else. Same in the Batting Stats and Pitching Stats tabs. It's too difficult to quickly get the info you want (usually MLB performance data) from those stat lines, especially when a guy has changed teams a lot, because you constantly need to reference the 'League' column.
  • stop defaulting to 'All Levels Combined' when you switch to the Batting Stats or Pitching Stats tabs, when you're looking at a Major League player. If I'm signing a 30 year old FA, I don't want to see what he did in A-ball as a 20 year old. I want to see what he's done in the Majors recently.
  • abandon the "more is more" philosophy used in a lot of the stats and ratings displays. "More" is often less, if it makes a screen unreadable. Trying to cram all the batting stats and all the pitching stats into a single view during the Amateur Draft, for example, makes that screen almost unusable. I can't even see the lead digit in the ERA column. Same for the ratings display view for International Amateur FAs.
  • related: prioritize information on spreadsheet views. If you go to your pitching staff, and choose the Pitching Potential view, that's an example of a view done well - all the key ratings (Stuff/Move/Ctl) are together near to the player names. The less important info (Stamina, G/F, Hold Runners) is shunted off to the right. That's how it should be. The Batting Ratings view, on the other hand, is confusing - too many columns you rarely care about are in the middle of the display (two different Bunting ratings), and the platoon columns are very hard to make any sense of. For new users in particular, the screen should prioritize what's important - maybe some people care about AvoidK, but that's boiled into the Contact rating already. Putting it off to the right would make clear it's not important to consider it separately from the core ratings - CON/GAP/POW/EYE/SPD/STL. The Batting Stats view is even worse, I'd bet most users never look at a third of the columns in that view. Those who do can customize, I'd rather have a default I can read.
  • When I'm making a lineup vs LHP, what I want to see is how well all my batters will do against LHP in all their ratings, and in a view where it's very easy to compare players with each other. I want checkboxes at the top of the screen: vs all P, vs RHP, vs LHP. If I choose vs LHP, say, I want to see all my players' ratings vs LHP, and all their stats only vs LHP. It should be easy for any user to do that, even those unaware of the view customization, because platoon strategy is one of the most important strategies available to a real life manager. And I want to access that info with one click, not by going through submenus to find a custom view.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote