View Single Post
Old 10-01-2016, 03:52 AM   #49
kq76
Global Moderator

1) I wish we could have an option for a consistent color (regardless of the team) for the header. Most of the colors are fine, but some I'd rather not see so much of. Maybe more importantly, I think it'd be better from a marketing standpoint if screenshots were more uniform and thereby more recognizeable ("oh, that must be OOTP17!", not "huh, what's that program with all those weird colors?"). I do like some color change depending on the team, but I think the header should stay the same.

2) I still think the upper area wastes a lot of space. I'll admit that the schedule widget is an interesting idea, but how many people really want it? I almost never pay attention to it. And there's a tonne of unused space to the right of the team name.

What you could do is: put the team's record to the right of the team name, get rid of the widget (or at least make it hideable) or make it shorter, and have the tab bars start to the right of the team logos but higher up. That way you'd still have room for the extra large logos and you'd get more screen space for what people are actually interested in when they go to each screen.

I hesitate to say it because it's so different from what we're used to probably very few will want to even consider it, but I'd love to see what the game would look like if we actually removed the league/team logo from the header and instead added a vertically short OOTP18 graphic to the top left, again moved up the tab bars, maybe did away with the team name and record in the header, but put the league or team logo and the team name and record somewhere in the top part of the screen bodies when appropriate. The header would be maybe half the size (I think of the tab bars as being part of the header), which would result in a tonne more screen space for the data you're interested in.

Whatever you do, don't try moving the menu into the left column again (I don't remember when, but I do remember this was once experimented with and it scared the hell out of me). Having a short top header plus a wide body really is best, especially when you want to look at tables of data. For long text, sure, it's best to break it up into columns (think newspaper design theory), but considering that a big part of this game is analyzing data, the wider the body the better.

I do think the widget idea could be further explored, but if anything I'd say try to make a team screen that is full of widgets. It'd be like those personalized home pages that the major websites used to have where you could select exactly what you wanted on your page. I don't think widgets should be forced onto us wasting space when we don't really want them though.

3) I don't get the point of the teams submenu in the small team menu when you get the same menu by clicking on the big team name. It's just another waste of space.

I'd still like to see the "Game" menu be renamed the world or universe menu as they're more descriptive and less confusing when you're trying to tell someone what to click.

I can't think of which ones they were at the moment, but there have been a number of screens in the game that I've tried to get to from finding them in the menu, but I haven't been able to find them, which is because they're not in the menus (you can only get to them from other screens). I think it'd be good if someone: 1) made a list of absolutely all the screens in the game, 2) checked to make sure they were in the menu somewhere, 3) asked themselves if they were in the most appropriate menu, and 4) asked themselves whether they should be higher or lower in the menu. This reminds me of the recent thread where a number of people said they didn't know the newspaper feature even existed when it's been in the game since OOTP12! What other features do people not know about simply because they're difficult to find?

4) I'd still like a customizeable toolbar where we could decide what shortcuts to put on it.

Last edited by kq76; 10-01-2016 at 03:54 AM.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote