View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #46
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
I know of a vegan or two who thinks it's disgusting for us to eat meat. Are they racist?
I know of a bunch of white people who think it's disgusting, not to mention immoral, to eat dog. Are they racist?

How about if they think that people associated with certain cultures that eat dog are immoral?

Quote:
Of course, if a person is telling only Mexicans that eating tacos is disgusting, then that's a different story.
What if that person tells an [I]American [/] that eating tacos is disgusting? And they say that because they think Mexicans eat tacos and Mexicans are disgusting.

That seems more like what might be going on here.
"It's wrong for anyone to..., because that's what [undesirable] people do"

Quote:
(You may infer that the letter-writer is targeting blacks for his criticism of tats, dreads, and endzone dances, but we don't know that; he may also be speaking/writing to anyone on the Nittany Lions who fits those descriptions.)
Would you like to reconsider this in light of the previous?

It's similar to using sex, disabilities, etc as a pejorative.

X's are bad, and you're bad too because you are like them.

Quote:
I'll just re-state that in the case of the letter-writer, he may very well be racist. I'm just saying that a) we don't know enough about him from this particular letter to conclude that he's racist; his feelings on tats & dreads and endzone displays may come from something else that is neither racist nor ignorant, and b) the quick judgement of some to pronounce him a racist is indicative of current culture - reflected in this thread - that is way to quick, perhaps eager, to pronounce racism as the motive for... whatever; and, sadly, that phenomenon cheapens actual racist actions that actually effect/harm people.
Agreed, generally
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote