View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #43
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipaway View Post
Racism isn't determined by motivation. The fact that I call it "racism by ignorance" already means it's not intentional and the motivation isn't to discriminate.

I am specifically stating that people can have racist acts unintentionally. This happens all the time, and the reason we need to point it out is because racism hurts regardless of motivation. There is no cheapening of the hurt by saying that. On the other hand, if we require proof of motivation to label something racism, you are effectively telling racists to stay racist as long as they pretend they aren't doing anything intentionally. You are basically tolerating harmful behaviors.
Generally speaking, I'd say we disagree on some of the particulars, but can find plenty of common ground. Perhaps except for here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipaway View Post
We punish unintentional harm much less severely comparing to intentional harm, but we punish that still.
IMO, the problems are 1) that we look to punish - rather than explain, coach, guide - in response to the unintentional acts that could be perceived as racism, and 2) we ascribe harm to situation where there is actually just minor (and often fake) offense taken.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote