View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 04:37 PM   #98
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

June 25th, 1985

We are in Cincy to face the Reds. We are going with Jeff Robinson (4-7, 4.94). The Reds are using Mario Soto (8-4, 3.41).

I have gone 1 for 8 against Soto.

The Reds are in 2nd place in the division, ahead of us by 5 games.

Riverfront Stadium is very... red.

I started off the game but striking out... according to the ump. Bad call.

I came up again in the 3rd, with on out and Robinson on 1st. I hit one right up the 1st base line which got through for a double, moving Jeff to 3rd. Kenny Oberkfell then doubled, scoring both of us.

Giants lead 2-0!

In the 4th Tom Foley got an RBI single to narrow the lead.

Giants up 2-1.

I led off the 5th by striking out... this time for real.

I made my first defensive play that inning, taking a Tracy Jones grounder for the 1st out. Later, with Soto on 3rd and one out, Dan Driessen flew out to Terry Harper in right for what looked like a sac fly, but Terry managed to gun down Soto going home, even at the cost of his own body. He hurt his back and had to leave the game. Sixto Lexcano took his spot.

Bill Laskey took over on the mound for us in the 6th. He took the decision away from Robinson by allowing a sac fly by Eddie Milner to score Eric Davis and tie the game.

Game tied 2-2

I led off the 7th by taking a four pitch walk. After that the Reds brought in Ron Robinson to take over pitching duties.
Kenny O whiffed on a hit & run, but I swiped the bag for stolen base #47. They walked Chili Davis and then I stole 3rd for #48. Rob Deer struck out but Bob Brenly legged out an infield single as I scored.

Giants lead 3-2!

I handled the 2nd out of the inning, with another grounder from Jones.

Ron Davis came it to pitch the 8th after Laskey left for a pinch-hitter. I got the 3rd out for him, of a Bill Almon grounder.

I led off the 9th, now facing Donnie Moore, and I lined out to Kal Daniels in left.

Things got tense in the bottom of the 9th as Tom Foley hit a one out triple, representing the tying run. It didn't take long. Alan Nicely singled to cash him in. I started a Priske - Castino - Deer double header to end things and we were off to the 10th.

Game tied 3-3.

We couldn't get a run in the top half and Nestor turned it over to Mark Davis in the bottom half. He gave up a two out single to Bill Russell, but no damage.

In the 11th, with the bases empty and two out, Nestor pinch-hit for me with Ken Smith.

Back to this.

It turned out to be Foley again, in the bottom of the 11th who hit an RBI double to hand us a 4-3 loss.

We are down to 34-35.

I went 1 for 4 with a walk, two runs scored and two stolen bases but when the chips were down, Nestor didn't have faith in me.

Some exciting news for one of my teammates (and the team): Chili Davis signed a 4-year contract extension for $1.3 million. Good for Chili! Good for the Giants!

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote