View Single Post
Old 02-07-2020, 04:57 AM   #38
kq76
Global Moderator

Count me among those who think the draft should be abolished. What you do after that, I don't really care, but the older I get the more wrong the draft seems. Just imagine having to work for the same employer for x years no matter how ****ty they might be to you or others. Yeah, sometimes you might sign a contract with an employer for who knows how many years, but at least you most likely chose them. Barring the rare case like Lindros or Manning, players don't get to choose who they sign with right out of school and most don't get to choose whom they want to play for until years later. That's just not right. And unions should do something about it.

Now if you want to have a cap on signing players who have already signed their first pro contract, sure, that sounds reasonable (it's like the first time home buyer's tax break), but players should always get to choose whom they want to sign with. And just think, it would create a great incentive for team's to want to improve their organization because why would any good to great prospect want to sign with an organization with a bad rep. Those organizations would only be able to sign the players no other teams wanted and that would lead you into an even worse position. You would have to cap the number of signees (or the amount of money spent on signees) so not everyone can sign with the best teams, but it could definitely work.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote