Thread: Usage Tracker
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #44
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Raht View Post
OOTP 12.5 will include what we're calling the Usage Tracker. We wanted to be upfront about what it is and what it does.

The Usage Tracker captures basic gameplay information, but we want to emphasize that all data we gather is anonymous. The goal is to learn more about how OOTP is played so we can make improvements in version 13 and beyond. What we're doing here is no different than what many companies do with their software.

We also want to make it clear upfront that the Usage Tracker does not slow down the game or hamper it in any way. It transfers data to our server when the game connects to check for news. This happens while OOTP loads the skin and other data. If the data transfer takes too long because the server is busy, or if it hangs because the server is unavailable, the process will abort as soon as the game data is loaded, so the Usage Tracker won't get in the way. It also won't produce any annoying error messages.

The Usage Tracker generates a unique random key the first time OOTP starts. No IP addresses or other identifying information is used; it's simply 20 random letters and numbers.

The following information is uploaded with the unique key:

- Product name and version (i.e. OOTP 12.5.28)
- OS, OS version (i.e. Windows 7 64-bit)
- CPU type (i.e. Intel or AMD)
- Memory size (RAM)
- Product window size (i.e. 1024x768)
- Product running fullscreen Yes/No
- Number of sessions (i.e. game starts)
- Amount of minutes played
- A counter for each page and dialog that has been opened
- A counter for certain program features like team file import/export

All data is transferred without encryption as a simple HTTP call with parameters. There are no hidden data transfers or fishy things going on, we just need to learn more about how you play OOTP. You also do not need to fear that we remove screens or features that are not being used often. After all it was a lot of work to create them

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to get in touch. Thanks.
Andreas, this thread should be made a sticky.

Cheers!
Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote