View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
What about tied games and not-official games?
Rain-shortened games could be doable, since it's a regular game just with fewer innings than normal played. (However, as best I recall, in the majors at least official games of less than 9 innings are fairly rare. I can post some numbers on that whenever my regular computer gets back online.)

I'd stay away from tie games, as that can get dicey. A tie game relies on the particular rules of when a game can be called, and those have changed over the years. Plus tie games, unlike postponed games, count in terms of player statistics and attendance even though there'll be a game played to make up for the tie. So overall I'd say they'd be more trouble than they're worth.

I'd also stay away from suspended games as well. It causes potential record-keeping issues since the game is started one day but completed on another day (and may not even be completed in the same park). Plus there are different rules on when a game can be suspended. In the minors almost any game stopped by rain, even one just a half-inning old, becomes a suspended game. In the majors, the rules are more strict (in addition to having changed over the years).

Just getting games postponed and rescheduled would be good enough in my opinion. It adds sufficient realism and flavour without getting bogged down in all the nitty gritty facets of reality like tie and suspended games.

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 06-16-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Le Grande Orange is online now   Reply With Quote