View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 07:52 PM   #36
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Yeah, he's looking for a pitch framing stat to help quantify that. I get the point, but OOTP can't have a stat that measures something that's not in the game (pitches outside the strike zone that are called strikes).

I think unless the game engine undergoes a major change to include pitch locations that affect gameplay, we have to accept that pitch framing is part of the catcher rating. I don't have the math behind how much pitch framing affects a catcher's WAR, but I can't imagine it's skewing the number so significantly that we can't tell who the best defensive catchers are in OOTP.

Plus, if the electronic strike zone comes into MLB -- and signs are pointing in that direction -- pitch framing will immediately become a zero factor.
But it could approximate them through its internal pitch framing metric. In other words, if about 10% of a pitcher's war calculation in OOTP should really be going to the catcher then do something where a guy with average rating gets 10% of the credit, a poor catcher gets 5% and an excellent catcher takes 15%. Those are just examples but I think you get the idea. Yeah you won't know based upon any actual outcomes but you could at least parse out how much of the WAR calculation should go to the catcher on average and then extrapolate from there. Again, I was just trying to come up with some sort of compromise that might mostly accomplish what he was trying to achieve.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote