View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #20
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
(I've also heard it said many times here by long-time OOTP'ers that pretty much any pitcher with a really low movement rate will inherently fail, no matter their other ratings. And one of the best starters on my staff has a 2 movement rating (again, 1-10 scale). So, with all of the varied statistical environments possible, the array of settings, etc., I'm skeptical of any broad generalizations about how things work in this game.)
If you look you can find OOTP pitchers who are successful despite big holes in any of the three primary rating categories, though on the whole "stuff" (k-rate) tends to require bigger OOTP ratings. In other words, a 2 of 10 Movement can sometimes work if everything else is great, but a 2 stuff will likely be problematic no matter what. But even then, it all depends on other ratings in the league around that player. Put a "low stuff" guy in a league with hitters who trend low on AvK, and he'll do better.

In MLB, how low these ratings can go could be viewed as asking "how few hitters can a pitcher strike out and remain in the league?" (for example). Or "how often can a guy give up homers and stay in the league?" For strikeouts, that rate in the "modern day" (meaning the past 40 years or so?) has been about 4.5/9, give or take...feel free to mush that around a bit, or raise it up for the past five-ten years...whatever...pitchers can dip below that for awhile, but if they fall below that line for long, they should probably start working on their broadcasting chops.

In OOTP, depending on the league's hitters AvK and your league totals and whatnot, that level is probably about a 4 of 10. Just spitballing.

Still, that isn't "stuff" in the robust way baseball people talk about it. It's just K-rate.

Last edited by RonCo; 08-22-2019 at 11:09 AM.
RonCo is offline   Reply With Quote