View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #11
christophermichaels
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I'm not entirely sure why some in this thread are acting surprised that Jim is largely working on FOF alone.

That's how he's done every single release previous, and this is how it is with other games in OOTPD's lineup too.

When FHM came to fruition, Markus didn't start coding hockey games - there are other developers who handle that project, while Markus and crew assist with various tasks related to development that come up or require their knowledge of the OOTP framework.

Similarly, when the FOF/Solecismic partnership was announced I didn't think Markus was going to start coding a football game with Jim. Rather, the OOTPD team assists Jim however they can (and in this capacity I assume the help required would be greater since he's transferring FOF stuff over to the OOTP world).. But ultimately Jim is the head developer and that doesn't change. So I don't think it should necessarily come as a shock or some huge delay on development that Jim is largely working alone at the moment. I'm sure progress is still being made, even if it's slower than if Markus/Andreas et al were all helping. But, I don't really think it's outside of what anyone should have expected from this partnership. Especially, as noted, baseball season starts soon and we are now in offseason of football, thus FOF is lower priority.
I’ll assume your thinly-veiled comment is directed at me.

As a consumer who is not in-the-know for how OOTP runs their shop, I made reasonable guesses that included the notion that Jim would be getting something in return for bringing his product to them. Of course he ran everything himself before. He was a one-man-operation. That’s well known over at FOF Central.

I don’t think it’s at all unreasonable for us to have assumed he was going to get a team dedicated to his game. Otherwise, why make the move? Also, with respect to hockey and FHM, I dare think the market for a possible football sim from OOTP Developments is large enough to warrant its own team. This would keep some upstart from being able to enter the market with a better product before this gets launched.

Finally, I am not expecting a game to roll out now. Nor have I said anything to suggest that. I can still hold the position that I am less-than-encouraged by the news that this game really isn’t any further along. In programming terms, August/September is right around the corner—especially with only the lead developer working on things.