View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #75
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by regnaD kciN View Post
I'd be very surprised if that was the case. With current copyright/trademark law, corporations can hold onto a copyright basically forever. My guess is that Activision/Blizzard (who now own Sierra) just decided they were never going to do another sports sim, so opted to get a few bucks by selling it.

Incidentally, back in my programming days, I worked on, I believe, the last three iterations of FPS:FB. There are quite a few stories I could tell about that last version, which was a corporate cluster**** of monumental proportions, but I don't know if I'm still liable for the non-disclosure all of us were forced to sign in order to get our severance package. Let's just say the spirit of Dilbert was alive and well at Sierra in those post-Ken & Roberta Williams days...
Man, I loved me some Sierra games in the 1990s too. In fact, I still have a VM on my newest laptop set up so that I can play FPS: Football Pro (the version with Dan Marino on the cover... I think that was '98? The last one that actually works anyway). I'm at a point to where I need to write a ratings adjuster that works better than the previously created one that's out there but frankly I'm just too lazy to do it. With the VPNFL files and properly rated players, it still produces decent results, even if the in-game play is a bit wonky.

My big issue with FOF is roughly the same as bigtrouble77's. My particular gripes are the fact that, 16 years after its original release, you can play with any league size you want as long as it's 32 teams in size, and the complete lack of attention paid to the coaching aspect of the game. I'm actually of roughly 20% of a mind to build my own game, as I have a really specific idea of what I would like a football game to be that I really can't expect any other dev to share, but sadly I am 80% too lazy for that.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not