View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #67
Mariners fan 24
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrouble77 View Post
My biggest issue with FOF is that Jim (the developer) has some very strong feelings about how the game should be played which I fundamentally don't agree with. He forces a salary cap and does not support player editing because he thinks it makes the game too easy.

I play sports sims to create interesting scenarios, I like to build up dynasties with certain compelling player combinations... something that's not possible in FOF. I also like to go in and force trades for AI controlled teams. I'll then go in and control one of the weakest teams and try to win the championship. All of this was possible with Front Page Sports Football; I never had more fun playing that game, especially with Sundby tools.

I'm really hoping this game gives me that level of control. I'm also hoping that there is some kind of visual indication of how the plays worked out. Not having that was a huge downer with FHM, that kills immersion more than anything. FPSF was so popular because it was the only game at the time that simulated with the actual game engine and did a great job creating highlights of important game moments.

If BTSF can incorporate these features I will play the game to death, but I'm assuming it will take a few versions before it can realistically compete with FOF on features.
At the very least, games should always have that option when it is in the appropriate genre such as sports games with customization. There is the whole argument that as an art form, video games shine because of the ability to interact and choose in the world versus cinema where you interpret the creators meaning though it's final form.

Anyways, I bought FPS on steam a few days ago during the sale and can't advance due to a roster bug. Which is very frustrating because I really wanted to play a football based sim. This has never been an issue I have had with an OOTP game, and I took it for granted. This is really the one thing I want from BTS. Please learn from past developers mistakes of releasing a game before it's tested and finished. Diablo 3 also did this, and this made me mad enough to never want to buy another Blizzard product again.