View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #49
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

from a PM to Eugene

The pbp is much improved over 2006, but I have noticed a few things. None of these observations is likely to be useful to you, but I thought you might like to know that they're out there:

Twice the ends of calls have been cut off. Once it read something like "and the ball is taken to the bag by…!" where it should have read "the ball is taken to the bag by Jukoda." The other time was when someone hit a ball deep, and the last line read something like "Arai is pumping for second…", and that was the end of it. I had to go to the pitch-by-pitch summary to discover that Arai had a double, but was thrown out trying to stretch it into a triple.

{It's too bad I missed that, because in ten games so far that was the only runner thrown out trying to stretch a hit. I have noticed that anytime the pbp describes an outfielder making a throw, or any play in which the fielder receiving the ball is described as making a tag, the runner is always safe. No exceptions in ten games. Is that just a coincidence, or is the pbp written that way?}

The last thing is that the pbp does not take into account infield shifts. If I shift right (putting the shortstop over second base), the pbp will tell me that the second baseman waved at a ball over the bag, and similarly for the shortstop when I shift left.

On the whole, though, I was using the brief pbp in 2006, but I've gone to the full version in OotPB9. A job well done.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote