View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 10:39 PM   #12
Nero
Minors (Triple A)

Asking for, and getting are two different things....I kind of wonder how many are being sold at that price.

It's a great card, but for me I have a harder time justifying the price since an "every game" starting catcher is only going to catch 110-115 games, far less than a starter at any other position player who plays against both right handers and lefty's.

For multiple seasons I ran a platoon of Yadier Molina and Pudge Rodriguez, and just had to accept that I was going to be limited offensively. I didn't want to invest into the Yogi Berra range (saw he is going 175-225 instead of sub 100k). Mid season I bought 91 Bill Dickey, figuring that most games the reserve plays are still going to be against RHP's. Dickey's been hitting just over .365 (125 AB's, so small sample size) and a long hot streak has helped. That said, I'll take him over Berra for the price difference, and work to upgrade Molina, reason I bring it up, is that I think I'll get a viable return for a much cheaper price than Rutschman.

If he was an everyday catcher, and got 130 starts I'd see him being viable in the 175k-200k area, and that's still more than I'd want to spend.

Just my line of thinking....be interesting to see some results with him over a few seasons, and see what kind of actual impact he has.

Last edited by Nero; 08-16-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Nero is offline   Reply With Quote