View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #54
stevem810
All Star Starter

Game 6 - Elimination Game

From the Journal of Julien Henri

The locker room was eerie before the game. No one was talking. I could feel the tension as soon as I walked in. Everyone looking down at their feet or into their locker. No side conversations. This team was tight.

It was my turn to pitch and I didn't care who was tight. I had a job to do and I was going to do it. Yet, I was worried. We didn't seem ourselves. We lacked the spark. And, the elephant in the room was the absence of Steve Green. He has been our big bat (and glove) for two years until the injury earlier this season. The guy never got untracked as he produced a .679 OPS in 45 games. But, still, to leave him off the post-season roster? That seems like a mistake, nothing against Lamy. But, that's baseball.

I kept them off the bases in the first and we squandered an opportunity to go big in the bottom half, but we did score one. It stayed that way to the top of the sixth when the top of the order got me for 3 straight singles. Damn, and I was making good pitches, too. A FC, SF, and another single and we were down 3-1. The manager came to the mound. I just said 'no way'. I'm fresh and I will get out of the jam I got us into. Skip looked at catcher, Legendre, and waited for a response. "He's right Skip, I think he can get this next guy." Rodgrigues had been tearing our team up but I retired him both times this game.

Skip made the decision to let me pitch to him. I felt more determination than pressure. On a 1-2 pitch I got him to fish. But, we are down 2 runs and it's getting late.

Bottom of the 6th and I'm leading off. Another reason I didn't want to leave the game. I ripped one into the gap and made it to second. I know we're down two but I can make it into third. Without looking at the 3rd base coach I hit another gear. Sliding into 3rd the call was, SAFE.

We ended up getting one back to cut it to 3-2. Problem is our bats are not very hot right now.

We get to the 8th and I'm in another jam. A double, a strike out ( I had 10), and a walk. I'm way up there in pitches but Skip stays with me and we get out of the jam.

We go down 1-2-3 in the 8th and it doesn't look good. Skip takes me out to start the 9th. It was the right decision. I was out of gas. With a fresh arm Sergio Hernandez retires the Orchids in order.

To the 9th and our last chance to tie, or win. Lead off batter hits a routine grounder to short. He boots it! He boots it! Suddenly, the ball park becomes energized. The fans on their feet. Yelling, cheering. The noise is deafening. On a 1-1 count Herve DeLage, the one who started the series 0 for 12, rips the ball into the corner for a double. Two on, no out.

We're going to win this is my only thought. The Orchids opened the door and the Diamonds are going to walk through it. I could feel it. Next pitch...wild...a run scores and the other runner to 3rd. Next up, Mathieu Michel takes to the outfield....deep enough that Herve is going to score and he does! Diamonds win it, 4-3.
Attached Images
stevem810 is offline   Reply With Quote