View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #30
David Ball
Minors (Triple A)

Haven't been around as much lately, but I always enjoy seeing what you're up to. I have access to a full text database of the New York Times, so I can ferret out some bits of information on obscure boxers who fought around New York. Can't help much with these Floridians, though.

And on the subject of Don Mogard above...I may be confusing him with somebody else, but I am pretty sure it was Mogard about whom we had an interesting thread quite a while ago. Somebody argued that his manager had made a mistake matching him with LaStarza, that he could have been built up a little higher feeding on tomato cans before he came back to earth.

I suggested that perhaps Mogard had already gone as far as he could, and that getting him on the undercard of a big fight (a lightweight world title fight at Yankee Stadium) might have been cashing in at the right moment for a relatively good payday. I really don't have much idea whether I was right or not -- for one thing I don't actually know how big a payday a six-round undercard fight in those circumstances would have been -- but I was just trying to play devil's advocate in an interesting discussion.
David Ball is offline   Reply With Quote