View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
LetsGoMocs
Minors (Single A)

Ootp 21 wishlist

This will be extensive, and it would greatly change the game, but I think it is the next step OOTP needs to take to become the best simulation game in the world. It's already the best baseball game, and I'm appreciative of their efforts, but there is work to be done

PLAYER DEVELOPMENT

Player development needs some sort of overhaul. The budget is there, but what does it mean? What does it do? What's the difference between spending $12M and $20M? The budget should be discernible. This much goes into player development staffing, this much goes into technology investment (think edgertronic cameras, trackman, rapsodo, etc.), this much goes into upgrading minor league facilities, and whatever else you can dream of.

I would also like a way to give players training orders. While they need to be careful about making sure a user can't game the system (for instance, I shouldn't be able to just send Billy Hamilton to some strength camp in the offseason and have him come back hitting 50 homers), but there are smart ways to do this. I would like to use the Houston Astros as an example for this. The Astros are the poster child for Player Development. With guys like Ryan Pressly, Charlie Morton, Justin Verlander, and Gerrit Cole, they've told them to ditch two-seamers and sinkers and throw more four-seamers and curveballs. I should be able to suggest a pitcher learn a pitch or stop throwing a pitch. Depending on the level of skill of my coaching staff and the potential rating of my player, that change can either be impactful or not. Same goes for hitters. I should be able to tell a hitter to try to lift the ball more, or try to hit the ball on the ground more, or try to use the whole field, and the traits of the coaches and player will deem success. This will make the development feel more natural and less randomized.

SCOUTING

I would like to see scouting be touched. I think there should be a full scouting staff, not just a scouting director. I should be able to hire area scouts. These scouts will go out and scout high schoolers and college players in their area and give me a report of "I went to Oregon State and Catcher Adley Rutschman stood out to me. He went 2-for-4 with a homer and profiles as a middle-of-the-order bat." or something along those lines. They could also say "I went to BLAH BLAH showcase and BLAH BLAH threw 94-96 MPH. While he struggled with command, I believe he could be a late round steal." I believe this sort of thing will add immersion and make the game more re-playable.

ABILITY TO BE REAL GM

I feel like this should be a fairly easy add, but what if I want to be a real GM? If I want to be Brian Cashman, or Jeff Luhnow, or Theo Epstein, or Billy Beane? It feels wrong taking over the Red Sox the year after they won the World Series and being the GM and seeing Dave Dombrowski demoted to Assistant GM. I should either be able to be Dombrowski or create a character and become GM while Dombrowski becomes President of Baseball Ops. I would have to do tasks that he delegated and do well in those tasks to earn a job offer as the lead guy for another team. Obviously, the option to just create your own character and become the GM should still be in the game, but the key is what OOTP has been so good at for its entire existence...options
LetsGoMocs is offline   Reply With Quote