View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #58
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

OOTP vs. FM Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Triple dola?

Both games are great and IMHO are on an equal footing.

As to the original question I think OOTP does a better job of putting ME into the managers seat.

I think OOTP does a better job of putting the game on the field, keeping a statistical history over hundreds of seasons, and creating new players that come into the baseball world it has built. I simply don't have the experience with football to say that about FM. I do know there are tons of posts from those that grew up watching football on the FM boards complaining "this isn't realistic" and "that isn't realistic" to know there are problems. Too many headers going in, crosses score too much\too little (take your pick), etc. It is a great game and I love playing it but it is far from perfect and IMHO does not do a better job than OOTP.

As I said in your thread from a year or two ago what FM does better than any game I have ever played is leave you with the feeling you are dealing with people (and a lot of them) not simply a "bag of ratings". It is the area where FM is better than OOTP and is the direct result of having teams of coders and not just Markus and Andreas.

The bad thing about SEGA buying FM is they weren't interested in keeping the little guy, OOTP. OOTP under the SI\Sega umbrella would have certainly "borrowed" much of what makes FM great, IE the feeling you are dealing with human beings.

I don't feel entirely bad about Sega dumping OOTP as it has allowed Markus to continue to build his vision of the game without a beancounter getting involved. But Sega has done a pretty good job of letting FM be and so one does wonder what OOTP would be today if it had stayed with SI.
They have gotten better in fixing those unrealistic problems just like OOTP has fixed its unrealistic problems (in game scenarios, player creation, etc) I don't think one is exclusive from another when it comes to this subject.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote