View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #29
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
Thanks. I wasn't quite sure of the normal bust/success ratio of draftee's in baseball. So if you say that the vast majority are destined only to spend their entire careers chewing their way through thousands of pounds of sunflower seeds in the minor leagues, then my drafting strategy is working a treat.

I do however still find it confusing to know why my scout who has say scouted a SP as a potential 5 star guy, with a 1 star current rating, will nonetheless recommend I draft a 1 star rated/1star potential SP over him? If he has rated him the original guy a potential 5 star guy, why would he propose to pick another guy he rates as a 1 star spud?
heres a link to the 1st rd of the 2005 draft, many consider to be the best drft in recent yrs.
2005 MLB Draft Results | MLB Draft Results | 2005 MLB Amateur Draft Results
20 of the 30 never played in majors ( i might be off +1/-1)
In most yrs for 1st rounders you typically only have 12.
Scouts in the draft scout on potential not overall current...how good is your scout?
I dont know for me personally and for many of us on the forum we have ate, slept, drank baseball our entire lives it's easier for us to override a dumb scout. Not that i get it right either. My best inaugural draft player was picked in the 96th rd my best amateur draft player who was successful was drafted in the 11th rd. Both were for my Chicago Fire of the ABF. The 1st guy has 1 batting title the 2nd has been a good def ok hit backup middle IF for the last 7 sns.
It takes time to know whats good when you look at a player, other then just stats....Maybe you should try playing with ratings off, that way you can';t judge them based on that.
When i look at a player in the draft yes i look at ratings, (if he isnt real) but then i look at range speed, power etc a typical ammy draft 25 rds takes me 3-7 hrs. especially for the 1st 10 rds or so. i try to scout my self 15-30 days prior to each draft and try to fill holes i have in the minor leagues. Some guys will draft based on what the player did in HS or college and not bother to look at ratings. (i am too tired to fix my typo's)
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote