View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #26
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan76 View Post
thats baseball for yr...not every 1st rd piuck is gonna even play above rookie league let alone make it to the major leagues and if they do even fewer ill be more then a bench player.
If your drafting players based on ratings/stars and the recommendation of your scout then so far you are not doing anything wrong from my POV.

In my experience the AI does a better then decent job of promoting players. Until my current season in my ABF league I let AI handle my 4 levels of minor leaguers.They would promote the best players to AAA after 2 yrs or so. While My minors are weak overall its mostly because i have won 8 of 9 WS having the best record all 8 seasons, so i was always drafting last, but i still have 9 players that will be bench players or good MR's in the near future.
I wouldn't let AI do trades...I would take control of that worse case you dont make any moves until the Ai offers you a deal.
Thanks. I wasn't quite sure of the normal bust/success ratio of draftee's in baseball. So if you say that the vast majority are destined only to spend their entire careers chewing their way through thousands of pounds of sunflower seeds in the minor leagues, then my drafting strategy is working a treat.
Cheers for the advice about not allowing the AI to control trades. I found out the hard way in my first game, when he traded away a rookie Joe DiMaggio for an ageing relief pitcher and a two star rated SS. Ouch!
NOw i tend to mark a whole bunch of guys I want to keep as untouchable, that has so far stopped them from being moved on by my Manager. Does this 100% prevent the Manager from trading these guys I've designated as untouchable?
I might go further and remove this burden from his shoulders and do as you say.

I do however still find it confusing to know why my scout who has say scouted a SP as a potential 5 star guy, with a 1 star current rating, will nonetheless recommend I draft a 1 star rated/1star potential SP over him? If he has rated him the original guy a potential 5 star guy, why would he propose to pick another guy he rates as a 1 star spud?
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote