View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 01:46 AM   #1
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

Fielding in Historical Games, impossible results

There are some significant problems with fielding in historical games. Players are not only not performing as they should, but they are also putting up both good and bad fielding stats that are outside the range of what is even possible. The reason that this is occurring in the game is that players are not importing with proper ratings for what OOTP needs in order to provide the proper results.

I had OOTP play 1901-2018 and then took a look at the results. I have done this before and was well aware of the problems. This has been a significant issue for many editions of the game. I used Base Fielding Ratings on Career Stats for the import.

There are many impossible results and I will show you some of them here. You can of course look at any of your own saved leagues and go to League History>Retired Players and sort through the fielding stats at each position.

For reference, if you are wondering what is a good Defensive Efficiency for a SS for an entire career, Bill James has Ozzie Smith at 1.05, making 621 plays above average in his career. As a note, I have calculated +/- plays for every player as well and for Smith I came out with 639 - extremely close to the value Bill James provides.

I will be posting results of various players.
Garlon is offline   Reply With Quote